[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Mar 29 04:01:35 UTC 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Fanning

This article said that "She is the sister of [[Powderfinger]] frontman
and solo artist, [[Bernard Fanning]]."

Not true.

She asked me about this on television.  I danced around it as best I
could, but basically it was not fun. :(

Fortunately, this bit of incorrect information was not negative.  But it
made it hard for me to make a positive image for us.

I edited out the bad bit, but I left in the previous line:

"Ellen Fanning is married and has two young sons."

There is no source.  Is it even true?  Well, I asked her, and it is
true.  But there is no source.

I hope the horse I am beating is still alive: we have to be absolutely
ruthless about removing "I think I heard it somewhere"
pseudo-information from Wikipedia, and especially from biographies.

People who are fighting the good fight here are sometimes threatened
with a trip to ArbCom.  They need our support, though.

--Jimbo