[WikiEN-l] Bruce McMahan

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 01:10:05 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> writes:

> That article sucks royally.  More eyes, please.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_McMahan
>
> The major problem is that the "controversy" (which I have
  largely
> removed now) is reported only in one local tabloid, with a
  single
> reprint cited.  It does indeed look as if we are being used to
  promote
> a vendetta.
>
> I have asked on Talk for reliable secondary sources for the
> significance of the allegations.  A Wall Street Journal profile
  would
> be nice...
>
> My Factiva subscription gives precisely zero hits on McMahan
  outside
> of the campaign by the Broward New Times.  Not one.
>
> Guy (JzG)
> --

  http://www.chapmancentral.co.ukhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Amusingly, there's already an article about Wikipedia's coverage
of that article:, which I found along with a a bunch of aother
articles in LexisNexis Academic. From, yes, the  New Times
Broward-Palm Beach, February 22, 2007 Thursday:

"Daddy's Little Obfuscator; The McMahan clan tries a new way to
attack our "Daddy's Girl" bombshell -- by dive-bombing Wikipedia"

Choice quotes:

"As of this writing however (it changes by the hour), Wikipedia's
entry
is a pathetic thing, opening with three paragraphs of pure
pap. (McMahan
is chief executive officer of blah blah blah, he founded the
financial
firm so-and-such, his charities include whatzitmatter... as if
anyone
were looking up McMahan for that drivel.) Finally, it gets to the
point,
watered down by so much editing and reediting that it reads like
an
afterthought:

"Linda Schutt his biological daughter, who was raised by adoptive
parents through adulthood, has claimed in a lawsuit that she had a
sexual relationship with him as an adult. Documents from this suit
became the source of information for a series of articles in the
Broward-Palm Beach New Times, with further coverage in other
tabloid
journals."

Ouch. The "tabloid" touch hurts so much."

Of course, the article's quote in investigating sockpuppetry is
also
choice:

,----
| Behind every Wikipedia entry meanwhile, there's a discussion
page, which is where the war of words over McMahan's entry has
really been taking place. This includes a
several-thousand-words-long screed trashing Cramer and her story
by "CabbageFairy," who claims to be something of a journalism
expert. CabbageFairy accused New Times of the basest unethical
practices in the McMahan story.

| Something about CabbageFairy's profile at the site however, made
Tailpipe suspicious. Could the mysterious "researcher" be, gulp,
none other than Bruce McMahan's eldest daughter, Alison? Tailpipe
looked into it further and discovered that, yes, Alison McMahan is
a film historian who has written a book about early film pioneer
Alice Guy Blaché whose first feature film, in 1897 bore a French
title that translates to - you guessed it - "The Cabbage Fairy."
`----

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.