[WikiEN-l] Bauer DRV question - history (was Wikimedia Foundation sued)

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Mar 28 00:36:33 UTC 2007

On 27 Mar 2007 at 10:03:41 -0400, Philip Sandifer
<snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only thing that makes the case remarkable is that the WMF got
> sued. But this is not a lawsuit about a false, defamatory, or even
> sloppily done article. This is a lawsuit targeted at WMF on an
> article where the process had previously worked and worked pretty
> well. It's a lawsuit targeting us at, if not our best, at least at
> our pretty darn good.

I wouldn't say that WMF was "targeted" by this suit; they weren't the
only defendant, or probably even the most important one.  Most
likely, the major target is the SFWA, which put her on their "20
worst agents" list.  Various other sites and forums were added to the
suit in a scattershot approach to attack everybody who published
anything that she didn't like, but WMF is unlikely to be the main
reason she filed it.

If this suit proceeds to trial, it will probably get mainstream
coverage, and at that point she'd probably be inescapably notable;
right now, with the only apparent coverage being in blogs and forums,
the notability is fairly marginal, though not necessarily below the
threshold for inclusion given that at least some of the blogs in
question are notable ones in the field of science fiction writing.

--
== Dan ==