[WikiEN-l] Citizendium to launch this week

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Mar 26 19:12:24 UTC 2007

> On 26/03/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>
> > All of this said, I believe Larry had a conversation with some
> > higher-ups in the free content movement, and some of his
> > misconceptions were cleared up.  But he still thinks it might be a
> > good idea to license Citizendium created content under CC-BY-NC (or is
> > it CC-BY-NC-SA, he doesn't seem to understand the difference).
>
> Does anything with NC count as an open content licence? It certainly
> doesn't for Wikimedia purposes.

Depends on who you talk to, I suppose.  Anything with NC doesn't count
as a free content license under the "Free Content and Expression
Definition", which seems to have its website down at the moment.

I just found one of the more recent posts by Larry which suggests that
he does now have a better understanding of the GFDL:
http://forum.citizendium.org/index.php/topic,607.msg5127.html#msg5127

Here's a post where he suggests he doesn't care so much what license
is used: http://forum.citizendium.org/index.php/topic,607.30.html

In another post he says that he's leaning toward CC-BY-NC, and in yet
another he suggests that Citizendium is going to own the copyright on
submissions by contributors.  That one is pretty bold, so I looked up
the message number:
http://forum.citizendium.org/index.php/topic,607.60.html

"What activities does by-nc restrict us from?  We're the copyright
holder.  As such, we can do whatever we want with our own articles."

After Larry made a final call for discussion on the mailing list, I
asked him what the procedure was for those of us who refused to
license our content under CC-BY-NC - how could we go about removing
our articles from Citizendium.  He didn't really answer the question,
but said that I was "the first person [he's] seen who's had such a
strong negative reaction [to CC-BY-NC]".  I pointed him to
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/9/11/16331/0655 and
http://freecontentdefinition.org/Licenses/NC (thanks Erik), and then
two days later he announces that he's holding off on the license
decision.

So once again I'll ask that if you care about this you let Larry know.
 Of course, if you just think CZ is going to fail anyway I guess you
can save your time and not bother.

Anthony