[WikiEN-l] Out of process deletions

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Mon Mar 26 01:59:45 UTC 2007

Yes, discussion is appropriate, if it does not spread libelous or malicious material to another page, which it is extremely likely to do.

Bottom line, the user, whether they are an ordinary user or an administrator, may revert or delete libelous or malicious material without limit, for which they will receive, "Well done". Considerable slack will be cut if they make a mistake or are overly conservative. Users, whether they are an ordinary user or an administrator, who restore or repeatedly insert libelous or malicious material may be be blocked or desysopped. Little slack will be cut if there are obvious problems with the material. If you find yourself in such a "wheelwar", you would be well advised to let the deletion stand if the claim that the material is libelous or malicious is at least colorable. To take an obvious example, if someone has removed a statement that John Siegenthaler played a role in the Kennedy assassination, unless you have multiple reliable sources that the statement is sound, don't put that sort of information back in the article.

As to administrators being presumed to be reasonable, reasonable is as reasonable does. Repeated insertion of libelous or malicious material into a Wikipedia article is not reasonable. Nor are actions taken to block or otherwise discipline users or other administrators who are doing their duty by removing or deleting it.

Fred