[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is a work in progress

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 22:21:33 UTC 2007

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_a_work_in_progress
>
> Great essay by User:Qxz. "So, if you rely on Wikipedia in its current
> state, that's your problem. We're not done with it, and we never said
> it would be any good – we only said it would be free. If you aren't
> satisfied with it now, help improve it, or come back in another six
> years and take a look then. It'll be better. We promise."

I agree, great essay.  Wikipedia is not in itself primarily a project
to put an encyclopedia up on the web - it's a project to CREATE one.
Lots of things are imperfect.

Only thing is, one of the best ways to get contributors is to attract
readers.  If we get readers, we do have to be a little careful about a
few things - libellous howlers in biographies of living people, for
instance - but not overall paranoia about hiding the mess under the
bed.

-Matt