[WikiEN-l] Trust vs. Credentials (was Re: Accountability:

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 03:49:05 UTC 2007

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:49:05 -0400
--text follows this line--
Bartning at aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 3/11/2007 2:19:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com writes:
>
>> In  essence it *is* a popularity contest as Sarah suggests.  I
have  no
>> interest in learning how to expand my popularity or add others
   to  my
>> list.
>
> I would see it as an 'avoiding unpopularity'  contest, to some
large extent.
> Our conduct rules reward staying out of  conflicts, and staying
very calm and
> detached when you are in them. This makes  sense, to me. It's a
working
> environment.
>
> It's worse than a modern academic environment.  Articles attack,
  don't
> interrelate, citations get improperly cited and improperly
ignored.  It's  worse
> than the USENET because at least on there you can't get blocked,
and I see  even
> worse cases of unfairness there.  Wikipedia has only taken
what's bad  with
> the USENET it seems to me right now, and it's even gotten some
unrealistic
> publicity lately.
>
> Vincent

No. USENET was/is a lot worse. Spam is permanently a fact of life
there (wasn't the first ever piece of spam a Usenet message?),
they invented the trolls and are trolled by Scientology to a more
significant degree than Wikipedia (when was the lest time you
heard of User:Anon.penet.fi being sued by the Church of
Scientology on the wiki?) And they have real cabals on Usenet, not
to mention the whole idea of canceling posts, cross-threading,
etc. Say what you will about Wikipedia, but it's a much more
pleasant, less volatile and less transient place to work. The two
are different fundamentally, anyway.

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.