[WikiEN-l] Trust vs. Credentials (was Re: Accountability: bringing back a...

Bartning at aol.com Bartning at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 01:13:30 UTC 2007

In a message dated 3/11/2007 2:19:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com writes:

> In  essence it *is* a popularity contest as Sarah suggests.  I have  no
> interest in learning how to expand my popularity or add others to  my
> list.

I would see it as an 'avoiding unpopularity'  contest, to some large extent.
Our conduct rules reward staying out of  conflicts, and staying very calm and
detached when you are in them. This makes  sense, to me. It's a working
environment.

It's worse than a modern academic environment.  Articles attack, don't
interrelate, citations get improperly cited and improperly ignored.  It's  worse
than the USENET because at least on there you can't get blocked, and I see  even
worse cases of unfairness there.  Wikipedia has only taken what's bad  with
the USENET it seems to me right now, and it's even gotten some unrealistic
publicity lately.

Vincent
http://www.aol.com.