[WikiEN-l] CSPAN copyright

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Mar 8 02:23:13 UTC 2007

> On 3/7/07, Guettarda <guettarda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > According to an "email release" CSPAN is going to shift to a cc-by-nc type
> > license.  Not quite good enough for us to use, but certainly a nice step.
> >
> > http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/3/7/1522/54537
>
> Nice step= a significantly increased chance of finding out exactly how
> the courts define non commercial?

Unfortunately, it says they're going to shift to license *like*
cc-by-nc, not to cc-by-nc, so the definition of non-commercial for
that license probably won't have any bearing on the definition under
cc-by-nc.

While we're posing hypotheticals, here are some more:

1) Giving copies away to students of a school which charges tuition.
2) Making copies to distribute around the office to employees.
3) Printing out a copy to keep on your office bookshelf for reference.
4) Including the work in your office intranet site.

Anthony