[WikiEN-l] CSPAN copyright

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Wed Mar 7 21:41:41 UTC 2007

Oskar Sigvardsson schreef:
> On 3/7/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nice step= a significantly increased chance of finding out exactly how
> > the courts define non commercial?
>
> Is that really big deal? Isn't non-commercial easy to define, as in
> "you can use this in your own stuff, just don't make money of of it."
> Surely the full text of the license covers this pretty well?

There's an interesting discussion going on on the Citizendium fora about
licensing. Some people want to use the cc-sa-nc license for new content
("preferrably also for Wikipedia-derived content", according to one
contributor!).

In another cz forum, someone has suggested linking ISBN's automatically
to a bookseller, with citizendium earning money in an affiliate program.

It is (in my opinion) totally unclear if these two suggestions are
compatible: if citizendium republishing the contributions of others with
added links would be a "manner that is primarily intended for or
directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation"
(which is the legal description).

Larry Sanger's current suggestion: using the GFDL may be the simplest
thing to do... Probably a good decision.

Eugene