[WikiEN-l] Accountability: bringing back a proposal I made nearly 2 years ago

Jossi Fresco jossifresco at mac.com
Tue Mar 6 00:29:08 UTC 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 12:58 AM, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> proposal
> of mine from 2 years ago for greater accountability around
> credentials:

There are two issues that I believe are being mixed in this
discussion, and that may require a different treatment.

1. Identity
2. Credentials

1. Identity -- The Amazon.com RealName (TM) is designed to guarantee
the *indentity* of the person, by the simple means of providing a
credit card account that Amazon uses to verify the account holder
name via CSV.

The main idea behind RealName is that if you are willing to put your
real name up there with your comments, reviews, etc. you will be
extra careful on what you write, and readers of your reviews will
take that into account when reading them.

A "Confirmed Identity" system could be easily added to WP. If we had
such a system in place, the Essjay scandal would have never
happened ... TNY fact checking team would have only needed to run a
check on Essjay "RealName"... rather that take his user page at face
value.

This "Confirmed Identity" can be displayed alongside the username in
edit histories, as well as an icon on the user's page. Implementation
is quite simple.

2. Credentials -- This is a tougher one to implement and somewhat
against the grain of the community culture; most of our content is
not developed by experts with credentials, but by people that are
passionate about the subjects they edit.

Going for an "identity" system, rather than a "credentials" system
will also remove the possible negative consequences in edit disputes:
"I have a PhD. in Greek literature, and I tell you that you are wrong
about Parmednides". After all, if you are Joe Blow, tenured professor
at the University of Guam, and you have a "Confirmed Identity" tag
certifying that you are indeed Joe Blow, your credentials can be
easily verified by whomever wants to make the effort to do so.

-- Jossi