[WikiEN-l] Accountability: bringing back a proposal I made

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:07:11 UTC 2007

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:07:11 -0500
--text follows this line--

  http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2005-May/022085.html

> At the time, this seemed like a plausibly decent idea to me, and
  the
> reaction at the time was mostly positive, with some reasonable
  caveats
> and improvements:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2005-May/thread.htmlto
read the entire thread of "An idea".

> Nowadays, I bring back the proposal for further consideration in
  light
> of the EssJay scandal.  I think it imperative that we make some
positive
> moves here... we have a real opportunity here to move the
  quality of
> Wikipedia forward by doing something that many have vaguely
  thought to
> be a reasonably good idea if worked out carefully.
>
> For anyone who is reading but not online, I will sum it up.  I
  made a
> proposal that we have a system whereby people who are willing to
verify
> their real name and credentials are allowed a special
  notification.
> "Verified Credentials".  This could be a rather open ended
  system, and
> optional.
>
> The point is to make sure that people are being honest with us
and with
> the general public.  If you don't care to tell us that you are a
PhD (or
> that you are not), then that's fine: your editing stands or
falls on its
> own merit.  But if you do care to represent yourself as
  something, you
> have to be able to prove it.
>
> This policy will be coupled with a policy of gentle (or firm)
> discouragement for people to make claims like those that EssJay
  made,
> unless they are willing to back them up.
>
> How to confirm? What counts as confirmation?  What sorts of
things need
> confirmation? These are very interesting questions, as there are
  many
> types of situations.  But one thing that we have always been
  very very
> good at is taking the time to develop a nuanced policy.
>
> Just to take a simple example: how to verify a professor?  This
strikes
> me as being quite simple in most cases.  The professor gives a
  link to
> his or her faculty page at the college or university, including
  the
> email there, and someone emails that address to say "are you
  really
> EssJay?"  If the answer is yes, then that's a reasonable
  confirmation.

> We can imagine some wild ways that someone might crack that
  process
> (stealing a professor's email account, etc.) but I think we need
  not
> design around the worst case scenario, but rather design around
  the
> reasonable case of a reasonable person who is happy to confirm
> credentials to us.
>
> (This is a lower level of confirmation than we might expect an
employer
> to take, of course.)
>
> For someone like me, well, I have an M.A. in finance.  I could
  fax a
> copy of the degree to the office.  Again, someone could fake
  their
> credentials, but I don't think we need to design against some
mad worst
> case scenario but just to have a basic level of confirmation.
>
> --Jimbo

I like this proposal, as it is similar to one I've been bruiting
about for the last few days.

The way I see it, there is no really golden mean between full
pseudonymity (where you give few to no details about who you are;
where "few to no" means that the obtainable information is limited
to basically the sort of stuff userboxes cover - excluding stuff
like your real name, address, phone number, employment or
employment history and other things like credentials), and full
transparency. When I saw full transparency, here I mean that
enough information about one's life is  given that, in principle,
one can verify claims about expertise, official credentials, and
so on.

Now, note that I emphasize verifiability. This differs from
Jimbo's proposal. If I may use some out-moded descriptions,
Jimbo's idea where one has another rank in the hierarchy where
credentials are deemed verified (past tense) is more of an
Immediatist/Deletionist sort of proposal. I am not surprised at it
- it is a truth of Wikipedia history that every time a scandal of
some sort scars the community, restrictive I/D proposals pop up
and gain credence (example: disabling anonymous page creation
after Seigenthaler), but that doesn't mean we should just do
them. If we implement any such proposals, disarrayed and dismayed
by a recent scandal, we will have to live with it a long time,
particularly if orders for it come from the top and are enforced
by changes in the MediaWiki software (remember, "code is law"). I
understand many elder editors are not particularly convinced
restricting page creation worked and that it should be turned on
again, but because the order for that restriction came from the
top and is implemented in code, it is literally impossible for
anons to create pages except through meatpuppets of registered
editors. And this has been the case for quite literally years
(come this December, I think it will have been 2 full years). So
if we are considering proposals which will give a subset of
registered editors official imprimatur, possibly reflected in the
software itself (not sure how else the "Verified Credentials"
would be implemented), then we need to be rather careful.

That said, I also don't like the proposal because it adds yet
another level to the hierarchy (how will it go? Anons, editors,
Verified Credential editors, admins, bureaucrats, Checkuser,
Oversight, stewards, board, Jimbo?), because it centralizes the
activity of checking credentials, and just in general imposes
overhead - the whole point of wikis is to reduce overhead and bet
that it enables good users more than bad ones.

What we need to do is discourage the in between. There is no
golden mean, but this does not mean we should set up yet another
heavyweight process to verify people on the transparent end of the
spectrum, but rather we culturally or perhaps by guideline or
policy say that claims to expertise not backed up by verifiable
information should be discounted and the claimer treated exactly
as if they were pseudonymous.  Let people claim to be professors,
if they want, but let no one treat them as professors without
sufficient reason to believe that. One cannot legislate common
sense, as the saying goes.

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.