[WikiEN-l] Is editing for payment a fundamentally problematic conflict of...

Bartning at aol.com Bartning at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 01:20:36 UTC 2007

In a message dated 3/4/2007 4:42:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
william at scissor.com writes:

Just to  be clear, I'm not against paying honest and conscientious
Wikipedians to  edit. What I am opposed to is accepting editorial
conflicts of  interest.

So if, say, the Ford Foundation wants to pay a dozen  historians to write
historical articles, I'm all for it. Right up to the  point where they
edit anything on the Ford Foundation or its  funders.
Current rules remain unclear about policies.  I only hear about paid
corporations and nonprofits that also edit pages.  However, one criticism  involves
Wikipedia being too commercial and actually asking corporations to put  their
logos on articles about them.