[WikiEN-l] Rootology's new site

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 05:14:21 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:31:48 -0700, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I don't think you're correct there. A lot of people use hobbies, be that
>> editing Wikipedia, rebuilding classic cars, collecting postage stamps,
>> whatever the case may be, because they personally enjoy it and it keeps
>> their mind sharp. Ruining the ability to do that for them, whether it's
>> dropping their stamp collection in a puddle or running them off of
>> Wikipedia, is not a harmless action. If it were simply "just a website",
>> and no one cares, we wouldn't have a blocking policy, we'd just block
>> whoever we damn well like (or don't like). Just a website, right?
>>

> I haven't seen many people run off Wikipedia who didn't badly need to
> be run off in order to allow the rest of the million or so editors
> enjoy the project.
>
> Guy (JzG)

Katefan? (I'm aware we didn't run her off, but she was run off
nonetheless.) And I've seen a lot of other people disappear quietly who
I was quite sad to see go. I'm aware that a lot of the people that have
been shown the door needed to go (indeed, many of them were threatening
to run good editors off), but that's far from uniformly the case.