[WikiEN-l] WP:FICT rewrite

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com SonOfYoungwood at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 06:43:13 UTC 2007

In a message dated 6/27/2007 1:24:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
cunctator at gmail.com writes:

About  how to do *everything*?

Don't you recognize that *you're a  newbie*?

You are in fact arguing that we should scrap policies and  guidelines
because you, the comparative newbie, think you have good  ideas.

You are also arguing that we should *not* scrap policies and  guidelines.

Which one is it?

I'm reminded of Dana Perino  now.

I believe you are misinterpreting my comments (understandable, as I'll
explain below). If you want specific examples as to why the mailing list  involves
more knee jerk reactions, then that's a good one. Clearly, I didn't  edit that
e-mail well enough ("do everything" was a silly comment on my part),  and I
think you did the same (misinterpreting what I said and making a few  rather b
old comments).

I assumed it was obvious that "so we should scrap policies and  guidelines"
was not my position, because it was hypothetical. Also, there is a  difference
between rewriting/modifying policies and scrapping them. We  should *not*
scrap policies and guidelines; we should *rewrite and update* them  as Wikipedia
evolves. The WP:FICT rewrite attempts to take the essense of the  main
notability guideline (as well as parts of the current WP:FICT) and  combine it with
good practices in day-to-day treatment of fiction.

Our exchanges are probably bordering on incivility, so I say we call it a
night/day and revisit this issue later (and I need to get some sleep,  since my
uneven articulation and wordiness might be due to sleep  deprivation). I think
we both have some valid points, but I can probably  get mine across easier
and understand yours better in a day or two. Then  perhaps we can work toward
discussing the actual rewrite and perhaps a  compromise between the current
version and the rewrite, if you are  interested.