[WikiEN-l] WP:FICT rewrite

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com SonOfYoungwood at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 21:03:58 UTC 2007

In a message dated 6/25/2007 3:58:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:

Information is neither "in-universe" or "out-of-universe", it's just  a
collection of facts. It's the presentation of that information  which
is in- or out-of-universe, any in-universe content can be  re-written
out-of-universe (although a large amount of in-universe content  is
often a clue that the article needs trimming, so I'm not  suggesting
blindly rewriting articles). I think what you're trying to say  is that
there should be non-primary reliable sources in order for something  to
be notable, which is probably a good rule of  thumb.

These sources cover "real world" information, like sales figures, critical
response, merchandise, and so on. It's called "out-of-universe information" as
a  general grouping, since it's a common use of the  term. "Out-of-universe
perspective" presents a balance of  in-universe and out-of-universe material
from the perspective of the real  world; what you mentioned. I've seen both terms
used  commonly across Wikipedia.  WAF uses the term "out-of-universe
information" as well. This wording is noted in the  rewrite.