[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Jun 24 23:24:53 UTC 2007

The big wars over linking to so-called "attack sites" have moved to
yet another venue... and this time, instead of just chilling
discussion on various and sundry talk and project pages (but being
pretty much peripheral to anything to do with maintaining an
encyclopedia, other than diverting energy away from it), they're
actually having a direct and negative effect on our quality as an
encyclopedia.  It seems that, regarding the [[Essjay controversy]],
one of the Wikipedia-related conflicts that is notable enough to have
a mainspace article, a key part of the history of the unfolding of
this story took place on one of the "attack sites".  (Our favorite
enemy Daniel Brandt played a big role in that.)  So, naturally, some
people wanting a well-referenced historical record wish to include
the relevant link.  Others are fighting it, making the same tired
arguments about ArbCom rulings and pseudo-policy.  I was trying to
mellow out about this whole issue so that I could get back to doing
something actually relevant to the encyclopedia, but it seems like
the damn thing keeps intruding no matter what, like the monster in a
bad horror movie.
--
== Dan ==