[WikiEN-l] A narrower concept of boldness

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri Jun 22 15:53:59 UTC 2007

David Goodman wrote:
> As for BOLD, I have never seen it cited for good ends; most good
> editing doesn't need it. [...] Personally I'd rather
> remove it from the guidelines altogether [...]

I think its failures are loud but its successes quiet. It was very
important to me starting out, and I use it a lot in encouraging
non-participants to join us. Coming across this giant enterprise, it's
easy for cautious or shy people to not make changes or to just make
quiet suggestions on the talk page. We want those people to just jump in
and participate, even though it's scary for them.

Of course, the [[Dunning-Kruger effect]] means that [[WP:BOLD]] will
never be an unmixed good.

William