[WikiEN-l] Changing the AfD process (Was: Re: [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:59:07 UTC 2007

> I agree. A four month moratorium following a "Keep", or two months
> after a "no consensus" seems plenty to me. Maybe 6 and 3 respectively.

I don't think "no consensus" AFDs should delay anything, there should
only be a delay if there is a positive decision to keep. I'd say 3
months is probably enough - a lot can change in 3 months.

If someone isn't happy with the result of a recent AFD, we should have
a process by which it can be reopened (ie. not a new AFD, but
continuing the old one, on the same page, previous comments still
count). Someone would propose reopening the AFD and would have to give
a reason explaining what has changed (reasons to delete/keep should be
ignored at this stage). If people agree that something significant has
changed (that could be some real world change in the subject making it
more notable, for example, or it could just be a change in community
consensus demonstrated by a similar AFD resulting in an opposite
decision) then they vote to reopen. If the is a consensus to reopen,
then the AFD carries on from where it left off, just like when an AFD
is relisted at the moment.

It should be made clear that this is a different process to DRV - DRV
is for when you disagree with the determination of consensus,
reopening is for when you think consensus has changed.

The key thing with this proposal is that the comments made the first
time still count after it is reopened (anyone who commented the first
time round should be notified in case they want to change their vote),
which should stop the "deletion by attrition" problem.