[WikiEN-l] Changing the AfD process (Was: Re: [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:45:04 UTC 2007

> On 6/21/07, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Absolutely.  We seek to minimise the potential harm where that is
> > possible without compromising the encyclopedia.
>
> As soon as you bring in things not directly related to writing the
> encyclopedia in (and do no harm isn't at least outside the article on
> wicca) you compromise the encyclopedia.

It's a pity that our first step was to compromise it so immensely by
all that "free content" rules, then.

Geni, there are no hard and fast lines. We shouldn't avoid making
policies because we can't define the edge cases - as with your worries
about people creatively misinterpreting the living-people rules to
somehow prevent us writing about anything organic - and we shouldn't
avoid making them because they won't make the project divinely perfect
at a stroke.

No silly attempt to misread or twist the rules to the detriment of the
project will last against common sense. (Well, not on a statistically
significant rate. Two million pages is always hard to say absolutely
never...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk