[WikiEN-l] Admins shouldn't shoot back

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 20 05:35:25 UTC 2007

Gracenotes wrote:

>On 6/19/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Only if we want to create a culture that glorifies article creators and
>>>despises maintenance workers ...
>>>

>>Gracenotes, you need to read what you're responding to. Someone else
>>made the analogy of admins and editors to "menial employees." It was
>>just an analogy; it said nothing about article creators v. maintenance
>>workers. The hyperbole has to stop, because it's just an attempt to
>>stoke things up.
>>

>I am aware that my paragraph is somewhat out of context, and is
>more meant as a general response to the so-called "culture" for which
>you've recently been advocating. But it's a piece of satire (so, like A
>Modest Proposal, it naturally employs hyperbole), and I hope to heaven
>that you realize that.

When it comes to hyperbole and satire caution is warranted.  Not
everybody gets it, and there are some who are a little quick to take it
literally, especially if it seems that it is a veiled attack.  As I
replied to Marc, when I use "menial" it simply refers to a low level
domestic or other low skill job without any connotation about the more
general worth of the person.

>Or else I shall get a wall to bang my head against.
>(Figuratively.)

See Marc's references to the Head-On ads. :-)

>It's meant to intellectually stoke things up, to get people
>to *think* about things; I have talked to some editors who have indicated
>that they sense the atmosphere in some parts of Wikipedia discourages
>original thinking about extra-content situations.

You're right.  This happens, but the problem with intellectual stoking
is that it can sometimes get the fire burning a little too hot..  As
much as I grok what you are trying to say, "original thinking" may be
the wrong term here because it sails too close to that other hot-button
subject, "original research".  There are some very serious social issues
affecting Wikipedia, and finding common ground in these discouraging
grounds is a huge challenge.

Ec