[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

The Mangoe the.mangoe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 19:15:03 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's great Rich. You know what? Some people feel the exact opposite.
> And some people feel that the entire atmosphere on this subject has
> been poisoned by some WR trolls. It's nice that the wikien-l list can
> accommodate such a wide spectrum of views.

The source of distress is the evident campaign to make sure that the
administrator community-- or at least the end of it involved in policy
and its enforcement-- DOESN'T reflect such a spectrum of views. It's
not just your favorite whipping boys at work (though I see you have
sent them a new recruit).

The open proxy issue makes me uncomfortable, as it fies in the face of
the emphasis of anonymity. You're taking the position that you and
other admins can be trusted on this; but leaving aside my personal
dislike for you, it isn't unreasonable for someone  to take an
extremely hard line on this. That's particularly so when the image of
the admins is not the monolithic clique/cabal/whatever organization,
but a bunch of not all that organized indepdent agents. The same
mistrust about admins being able to get past sockpuppet checks applies
far more strongly to admin powers being applied to other editors.

You may call what I wrote a Zen koan, but your reaction to it
indicates to me that you have not acheived enlightenment.