[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jun 18 18:57:32 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/06/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > So, you use your judgment to make these decisions. That's valid and
> > > expected.  CU status is given to those we assume to have good judgment
> > > on these sort of issues.
> > >
> > > But it is exactly your judgment that is in question here:
> >
> > You have made a logical error; just because you have questioned my
> > judgement, it doesn't mean my judgement is in question.
>
> With the best will in the world, I concur with him. Dropping it into
> the RFA was really not a very good way of going about it; there are
> more tactful ways of doing things that *don't* immediately spark a
> polarised, angry, lengthy debate, and make both sides look foolish.
>
> But, no, we got Drama instead. Well, that was a productive use of the
> past couple of days for all concerned.

I agree.  Jay has asked before why Charlotte didn't explain her
actions privately.  But the flip-side of this is the question of why
didn't Jay point out the alleged policy violations privately?

If you really think the encyclopedia is harmed by someone's actions,
making a mental note of those actions and then only mentioning them
when the person runs for adminship does not seem at all like the
proper thing to do.

Of course, the notion that the encyclopedia is harmed by Charlotte's
use of proxies is silly in itself.  As was mentioned previously, there
are admins who have edited Wikipedia using open proxies, and at least
one board member who has done so on occasion.