[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:49:16 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/06/07, ElinorD <elinordf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just a couple of points. I don't think anyone has actually stated as a fact
> > that Charlotte knew that she was violating policy before running for
> > adminship; it has just been suggested as likely. However, James Farrar is
> > demanding evidence that she knew it.
> >
> > Charlotte was Support Number 56 at
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/Armedblowfish,
> >
> > a page which at the time of her vote was devoted to discussion of the whole
> > issue of policy and open proxies. This was at 02:28 on 5 June 2007. She
> > accepted her own admin nomination at 18:52 on 14 June 2007. Is it likely
> > that she supported Armedblowfish without even looking at the previous
> > comments?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Why couldn't Jayjg have said that at the beginning and saved us all a
> load of hassle?

However, as CW had never been banned, and plenty of admins with check
user tools knew she had an open proxie, she might not have expected it
would be a cause to sink her RfA, or that it was banned for her to do
so.  After all, she is a registered user who uses open proxies and has
not been banned or told not to use them.

Adminship is political at Wikipedia--it's voted on, for all it not
being called a vote, requires a candidacy and platform and public
questioning.

It seems unlikely had she actually looked at this she would have been
so stunned at being asked it in her own RfA.

KP