[WikiEN-l] Question for Jay and Slim: Checking EXISTING admins for open proxy use

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 18 01:27:41 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:

>We do not engage, as an organization, in the harassment of valued contributors. Thus whether administrators are using open proxies is not an appropriate subject for investigation. In addition, the focus of attention on Jayjg and Slim Virgin is wholly inappropriate. If they have overstepped with respect to this issue, they can be depended on to adjust their behavior.

In all fairness Slim has vocally supported Jayjg in this issue, but it
has not been her action that has been brought into question.  I strongly
disagree with her opinions in the matter, but she is entitled to them
without fear of disciplinary action.  She should take the discussion
quietly under advisement, and let it guide her future actions.  She does
not need to announce that plan to the world.

A little more should be expected from Jayjg.  It was his action that
triggered the dispute, and some "no" voters have based their vote
primarily on what he said.  Since then, by all appearances, he has been
completely unrepentant and unwilling to admit that there was any trace
of error in what he did.  In a collaborative community an admission of
some degree of error is more productive that a stubborn defence of every
aspect of one's actions..

What I would like to see is an admission from him on the RfA page that
his interpretation of the rule and its application was unduly harsh (or
something to that effec), and the the opposition votes that were based
solely on that position be held in abeyance until the voter has had a
chance to reconsider.

Ec