[WikiEN-l] The real Occam's razor and AGF: stop it before it begins

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 17 23:39:26 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> But that's the whole point - there won't be any evidence of abuse
> even if she's the worst edit warrer ever

Well, besides all the prima facie evidence of being the worst
edit warrior ever.

> since all the evidence would be hidden by the fact that she's using TOR.

If someone is being abusive, is suspected of being a sockpuppet,
and is found to be using TOR, that's another pretty good nail in
their coffin.

> We have no way to know if she's hiding behind it or using it
> legitimately, and that's why it is banned.

Not quite.  It's banned (as I understand it) because if editor A
is editing from 12.345.678.910, and editor B is editing via TOR,
and B is suspected of being A's sockpuppet, we can't say, "Aha!
You're using the same IP address as A!"  But it seems to me we
could note that they're using TOR and block them as a sockpuppet
on that basis -- *after* they're suspected/accused of being a
sockpuppet.

The claim that productive contributors can't/shouldn't/mustn't
use proxies is tenuous at best.