[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jun 17 02:55:36 UTC 2007

On 6/16/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/16/07, NSLE (Wikipedia) <nsle.wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > SlimVirgin, you seem to have missed this question.
> >
> > Look, it's obvious. Jay did something - rightly or wrongly - and many people
> > are unhappy about how he went about it. Presumably, if CharlotteWebb was
> > first asked to explain when they first used an open proxy to edit, as you
> > claim, if no response was given the account would have been blocked for
> > using open proxies, and the matter sent to ANI, which it wasn't.
>
> I didn't say CW was first asked to explain when s/he first used an
> open proxy. I'm assuming she was first asked during the RfA.
>
> The policy allows for the IPs to be blocked, not the accounts that use
> them, so the blocking issue is a red herring.

Why is the policy that way?  Is it perhaps because it's OK to use a
proxy as long as you are doing so for a legitimate purpose?

This is the part of what you're saying that doesn't make sense.  If
it's such a terrible thing to use an open proxy to edit Wikipedia,
then why not block the people who actually do so?

For example...  [[Wikipedia:Libel]] says that libel should be removed
from Wikipedia.  It doesn't say that the person adding the libel
should be blocked.  Would you take this to mean that someone can't be
blocked for adding libel to the encyclopedia?