[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Jun 16 23:13:07 UTC 2007

On 6/16/07, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/16/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If being able to identify admins is that important, we should consider
> > if the OTRS show-the-foundation-your-ID should be extended to normal
> > admins.
>
> An admin who is doing nothing wrong wound have nothing to hide from the
> Foundation. If they're editing from a situation however, where they
> shouldn't be--say, work conflict of interest, personal risk, extreme
> concerns for privacy--they they perhaps shouldn't be admins.

It's one thing to show your ID to "the foundation", and quite another
to give it to all of the members of the foundation who have access to
these logs.  The very fact that someone obtained and then revealed
this information about CW without permission is enough of a reason to
be concerned about one's privacy, in my opinion.

FWIW, I don't think editing using a proxy *is* against policy.  In
fact, I seem to remember a prominent Wikipedian saying that the reason
TOR IPs commonly get blocked is due to the fact that they are commonly
used for abuse, and not simply because they were proxies.  But that
was a couple years ago.