[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 16 22:30:08 UTC 2007

Joe Szilagyi wrote:

>On 6/16/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>If being able to identify admins is that important, we should consider
>>if the OTRS show-the-foundation-your-ID should be extended to normal
>>admins.
>>

>An admin who is doing nothing wrong wound have nothing to hide from the
>Foundation. If they're editing from a situation however, where they
>shouldn't be--say, work conflict of interest, personal risk, extreme
>concerns for privacy--they they perhaps shouldn't be admins.
>
>This is a fantastic suggestion, and to protect the Foundation from liability
>from people acting as it's agents, likely very overdue.

By what stretch of the imagination do you determine that a person acting
as an admin on a project is acting as an agent of the Foundation.  A
very important distinction has always been made between the role of the
Foundation and the role of the projects.  Whatever the operating rules
of RfA, and whether or not one agrees with those rules, the fact remains
that admin appointments are made from the particular community, and not
by the Foundation.  Also becoming a sysop in any one community does not
yet imply the right to be a sysop in any other of our several hundred
communities.

Ec