[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Sat Jun 16 01:56:27 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, Kat Walsh <kat at mindspillage.org> wrote:
> On 6/15/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Trojan admin accounts can do a lot of damage. They can view and copy
> > deleted material; unblock abusive users; unprotect pages that would be
> > better left protected; cause endless arguments on AN/I by questioning
> > other admins; log and hand out conversations on the admins' channel,
> > and doubtless other things I haven't thought of.
>
> I still don't see why someone using an anonymizing proxy, who has
> maintained a consistent identity, does not resemble another user, and
> otherwise does not ping anyone's trouble radar, is more of a risk here
> than any other admin for whom we do not know any personal details.

Expanding on this: I think it would be fair to be particularly
suspicious, not to give the benefit of the doubt, if the account
smelled funny and it was also using anonymous proxies to edit.

But using them in itself isn't an indication that someone wants to do
harm, nor is someone intending to do harm much limited by the
restriction.

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising