[WikiEN-l] Wiki editing prize

Geoffrey Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jun 14 23:42:08 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JZG wrote:

> Of course some people will sign up to
> promote their own interests, we get that on Wikipedia as well, but
> these people do not generally make good contributors because they have
> no real interest outside of their own financial gain.

Odd thing is that there is currently a project that is doing just that, &
thriving quite well at the moment: http://www.aboutus.com. A for-profit
Wiki, with over two dozen employees & last I heard a positive cash flow.
Last time Kohs described what he was trying to do, I immediately thought
of them. Further, they did get Ward Cunningham to join them as CTO, so Ray
King & company _must_ be doing something right.

Wikipedia is not meant to be everything to everyone. I don't see the harm
in directing those PR people, who insist on writing articles about
companies that always end up on AfD, ought to be directed over there. I
think all parties would be happier.

COI disclaimer: I happen to be personal friends with many of the folks
working there, so I may be a little biassed about this.

Geoff