[WikiEN-l] [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:50:53 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Tony Sidaway wrote:
> >
> > It was an open discussion followed by almost certainly the most
> > comprehensively documented close we have ever seen.  You can see the
> > comments the closer made as he considered each point.  The result is
> > on deletion review but seems to be holding up very well indeed.
>
> What I'm talking about here is not just the AfD result on its own, but
> the rush to go _beyond_ it and turn the "merge" result into an outright
> deletion.

Well yes.  That doesn't seem very sensible to me, at least at this
stage.  I don't think those talking of deletion are thinking it
through.

> Why is it that seven other Wikipedias are apparently "trustworthy"
> enough to have articles about Daniel Brandt but the English Wikipedia
> can't have anything more than a redirect, if that? What if we were to
> translate one of those other articles and put it here on en?

I don't know.  Public relations aside, you have to remember that the
second and third largest Wikimedia projects are much smaller in
manpower than English Wikipedia, so article quality and coverage may
not be up to our standards.  For instance the French article *manque
de sources* and the German article *existiert nicht.*