[WikiEN-l] CSD A7, hilarity ensues

Christiano Moreschi moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 09:57:35 UTC 2007

>From: Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au>
>To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] CSD A7, hilarity ensues
>Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:40:20 +1000
>

>G'day Anthony,
>
> > On 6/11/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com>
>wrote:

> >> Yes.  Sadly, too many admins just look at the tag.  Plenty of fault to
> >> go around.
> >>
> > Is an "assertion of notability" supposed to be harder or easier to
> > obtain compared to outright "notability".  Because it seems to me that
> > in order for an article to assert the notability of its subject, if
> > has to either: 1) be about a notable subject, or 2) contain
> > falsehoods.
>
>Notability is a tricky subject.  I'll give you an example: bands.
>
>Suppose I was the lead yodeler in The Flailing Hairnets, one of the
>premier bands performing music in the genre of Mexican Nasal Yodeling.
>However, we had not released two albums on a major label or done enough
>of the other things required by [[WP:MUSIC]].
>
>AfD may well decide that we are significant enough in our genre to be
>worth an article, despite the fact that we fail [[WP:MUSIC]].  Then
>again, they may not.  Are we notable?  Regardless of what AfD decides,
>that's not something that can be dealt with by a single admin and a
>single clueless RC patroller spending 30 seconds apiece skimming the
>article and reaching for a button on VandalNukerPlus or whatever the
>latest semi-auto toy is called.

Agreed. With borderline A7s AfD should really be used instead, and the
article given more time to develop. Even with routine A7s I usually run a
quick Google search to see if there's something there other than the usual
Myspace crap. I hope admins don't delete routinely based purely on the
article actually being tagged (besides, didn't we have a vandal a while back
who was tagging perfectly good, if obscure articles for CSD? I seem to
remember something like that). The obvious exception are the A7s consisting
of "Andrew Bloggins is in 6th grade in Ohio who likes homework". But for
borderline ones, I should hope admins don't routinely trust the tagger. Bad
idea.

Moreschi