[WikiEN-l] An academic survey about the intention of sharing knowledge in the Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:11:02 UTC 2007

> I am a doctoral student from Dept. of MIS, National Chengchi University,
> Taiwan. This academic questionnaire is about the influence of motivation
> source and attitude toward Wikipedia to the intention of sharing knowledge
> in the Wikipedia (http://online-survey.homeip.net/survey.php). Please take
> few minutes to do the questionnaire to provide me your valuable opinion.
> This survey does not require any personal information from you and of
> course, I will not be sharing any information in any way. Your input means a
> lot to me and I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this
> survey. Thank you for your help!

OK, I've done the survey. I think you need to tidy it up a bit,
though. There are a lot of questions which mean exactly the same
thing. While that may be intentional, it is rather confusing when
filling it out. Some questions don't make grammatical sense and I had
to guess what they meant (eg. E1) (you should always get someone to
proof read something like this before advertising it). You use
"Wikipedia" to refer to the community, the content and the website
without distinguishing between them, which makes some parts of the
survey a little difficult to follow (eg. does "Wikipedia returns
answers to my requests quickly." refer to the Wikipedia community
answering questions on talk pages, etc., of the website responding to
an HTTP request? From the section it's in, I think the latter, but it
isn't clear). Also, you probably want to add a question to the first
page to clarify if people are spending X days contributing to
Wikipedia, or just reading it. And, as someone else has said, it's
"Wikipedia" not "the Wikipedia".