[WikiEN-l] BJAODN restored again

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 01:24:36 UTC 2007

On 6/6/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/07, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We would be better off if we added "I agree to be credited as 'a Wikipedia
> > contributor' (or collectively as 'various Wikipedia contributors') where
> > authorship must be credited under the terms of the GFDL" to the submission
> > statement. At least for non-logged-in contributions. Save us a lot of grief.
>
> You're joking, right? How would that differ from allowing the
> Foundation to assume copyright of all entries? If you wrote the
> article of the century, pretty much by yourself, some how I doubt a
> byline of "From Wikipedia, by Wikipedia" wherever it's mirrored would
> be satisfactory to you. Not without at least a link to the edit
> history.

Actually, it would be totally fine with me. I don't contribute to
Wikipedia for the glory.

Also, I don't have anything against making it a choice. Just that it
would be helpful if it were the default. That we act like it's
important to credit IP addresses is a sign of a broken policy.

> The actual quality of most users' edits will not rise to that level,
> but that is not a factor in copyright status or attribution
> requirements, which must be fulfilled unless said edits have been
> explicitly released into the public domain, which while quite common
> is not the norm. And even with no legal requirement to credit the
> author of explicit public domain edits, it is still a polite, ethical
> thing to do.

I don't know about ethical, but it can be helpful for historians.