[WikiEN-l] Spam:Re: [name of rouge adnim here]

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 3 17:04:37 UTC 2007

The Cunctator wrote:
> Whether or not the justification was a crock, his unilateral action was a
> blatant power trip.

Especially since the standard approach to dealing with copyvios doesn't
involve speedy deletion and wheel-warring to keep them gone, but rather
a week-long deliberative process. Even for the obvious stuff.

A few months back I came across a user who had uploaded a couple of
biographies of musicians that had been taken directly from their record
label's homepage. I did the proper thing; I blanked the pages, put up
copyvio notices, and alerted him to what I'd done on his userpage. He
reverted me and explained that he was actually the owner of the record
label in question - it wasn't a big one - and held the copyright to that
material. Rather than fighting to ensure that the pages died and stayed
dead and process was followed to the letter, I did some emailing to
confirm it, and hooray! Wikipedia now has a couple of nicely done
biographies it wouldn't otherwise have.

This is how assumption of good faith is _supposed_ to work.