[WikiEN-l] Jeffrey O. Gustafson Joke and other deleted cruft

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 2 22:12:46 UTC 2007

K P wrote:

> Users here complain about the cruft being every pokeman card having
>its own page, but there's a lot of nonencylopediac cruft on Wikipedia,
>and things like this deleted page are a major part of it, imo.  There
>are users who join to create cruft like this, and don't user page also
>show up in search engine results?  I think Wikipedia is overly lax on
>crap pages created by users, what encyclopediac purpose do pages of
>this sort serve?  They really weren't even that funny, and there's
>never been an original one.

I don't dispute the cruftiness of these pages.  At the same time I don't
arrogate upon myself the ability to distinguish which are cruft and
which are not.  The details on some of these (as I've remarked when
deleting spoiler warnings) are more than the average cruftophiles could
ever dream for.  I'm sure that helps to draw people interested in that
kind of thing.  My attitude toward cruft is best expressed by not
gratuitously visiting such pages.  Then someone mounts a high horse, and
charges straight ahead like an overarmoured medieval heavy cavalryman,
and I have to pay attention to the swath he cuts.

Ec