[WikiEN-l] Seriously, on BJAODN

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 2 19:38:18 UTC 2007

geni wrote:

>On 6/2/07, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>He didn't enforce our copyright policies. He made a massive,
>>unilateral deletion of content and CLAIMED he was enforcing our
>>copyright policies.
>>

>No he was inforceing them to the letter.

Whose letter?

>>If you shoot someone and then claim self-defense it doesn't make your
>>claim necessarily true.
>>
>>The claim of copyright enforcement here as a justification for the
>>mass deletion of BJAODN content is laughable.
>>
>>Moreover, it's a terrible precedent to set.
>>

>We've deleted over 100K images under the same set of policies. I think
>any precedents are likely to have already been set.

Someone needs to learn that images and text are different.

>>Even with the reasonable though highly disruptive project of clearing
>>out badly sourced images there was a real effort to put lots of
>>safeguards on the deletion project.
>>

>Not exactly. A8 then G12 always allowed for instant deletion in the
>case of copyvios.

Whatever cryptic codes you choose to quote there still needs to be a
determination that there is in fact a copyvio.  We know that there are
plenty of busibodies willing to jump to conclusions about someone else's
wrongdoing.  That's why those safeguards are so important.

>>This was done unilaterally and he is wheel warring against restoration.
>>

>Speedies normaly are unilateral and current arbcom precedent is that
>undeleteing even out of policy deletions is not allowed.

((fact)), and remember too that any such decision is necessarily driven
by its own set of facts.
Add to that the quick blocking of any attempt to revue the deletions,
and the whole effort smacks of POV pushing.

Ec