[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's a job?

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 00:08:43 UTC 2007

--- phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> This whole thing makes me incredibly sad. Making a unilateral decision to
> delete some of the oldest pages relating to Wikipedia culture, which was
> completely ignorable if you didn't like it, and which many people loved?
> That's just bad form. Bold, yes, but as someone else said, not even in the
> list of the top 100,000 pressing things to do. If someone is that convinced
> that they understand and can enforce the GFDL, and has that much energy to
> work on copyright problems, why not go after bad mirror sites, or fix bad
> merges, or checking text for copyvios, or something else more useful for
> fixing up the encyclopedic, public-facing side of the site.
>
> As Herostratus said: "There's such a thing a leaving room in life for some
> freaken common sense. Taking away one of the little inside jokes rips at the
> heart of an organization, and we are not doing this for the money. Jeffery I
> sure wish I had your self-confidence, to be so sure I'm right as to
> undertake such a task without first consulting my colleagues."

Yeah.

The aforementioned Jeffrey O. Gustafson, who I'm sure is an entirely admirable
Wikipedian, instructs us that, "our collective creative energies really should
go to writing an encyclopedia rather than preserving and expanding on this
garbage [BJAODN] - want to screw around on a wiki? Go to Uncyclopedia" --
Gustafson's "clarification for the idiots out
there"(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/Wikipedia:Bad_Jokes_and_Other_Deleted_Nonsense_3&diff=prev&oldid=134814735)

Sure, the aim is to write an encyclopedia, and BJAODN perhaps wasn't the
funniest thing in the universe ever, but I think the project is becoming
increasingly humourless and bizarre these days.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com