[WikiEN-l] Is Conservapedia an attack site?

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 22:41:54 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/06/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/1/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
> > > In other words, you think it's a black operation, not just dumb. I
> don't.
> >
> > So do you think the people contributing to this site generally believe
> > the things they write? Maybe some of them are genuine extremists and
> > others are humorists/trolls (of moderate-to-liberal origin). Maybe
> > even they don't know who's who.
>
> As far as I can tell, the site started out in good faith (if a little
> crankily) and was an accurate representation of what its authors were
> wanting.
>
> Then they, er, got famous. And got hit hard, by a thousand
> enthusiastic vandals and parodists and real cranks... and the entire
> thing went completely incomprehensible.
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
> andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

I'm disappointed to find out it started out as one thing, then morphed into
something incredibly amusing.  I really did think it was one of the only
good liberal joke sites on the web--both sides in American politics take
themselves too seriously and really think they are unique.  Well, one less
fun site for me, I suppose.  KP