[WikiEN-l] Is Conservapedia an attack site?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 22:07:23 UTC 2007

On 01/06/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the site started out in good faith (if a little
> crankily) and was an accurate representation of what its authors were
> wanting.
> Then they, er, got famous. And got hit hard, by a thousand
> enthusiastic vandals and parodists and real cranks... and the entire
> thing went completely incomprehensible.

Yeah. I think there's a fair bit of discontent toward Wikipedia,
because it's (a) hugely popular (b) has ridiculous Google page rank
(because people keep linking to it) (c) there are no effective
competitors. So Andrew Schlafly thought he could do a wiki
encyclopedia more suited to his views, and publicised it as "a
conservative version of Wikipedia" ... and it got flattened by the
attention of gawkers who could hardly believe these people's views
were for real. The site works now, but it was down under the load for
a fair while.

- d.