[WikiEN-l] BBC

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 25 17:56:19 UTC 2007

John Lee wrote:

>Well, I think what most of us on this list have in mind when we bring up the
>BBC and science reporting is the horrendous gaffes they have made on their
>website by blowing things out of proportion and exaggerating/fabricating
>facts. (The case of cows supposedly having accents comes to mind.)

Why shouldn't cows have accents?

More generally, journalists are rarely capable of handling scientific
topics because very few have any kind of scientific background.  In all
likelihood during their school days they were the ones who did very well
in classes where they could showcase their "creative" writing skills,
and who did very poorly in science if they couldn't get out of such
classes altogether.

Ec