[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 08:26:51 UTC 2007

On 7/23/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I think you may be interpreting things a little overly literally. The
> article is about eBay and the screenshot depicts what eBay "looks like"
> to the user. There's no need for the article to literally say "in the
> screenshot to the right, note the balanced use of color and perfectly
> straight lines used on the eBay homepage" in order to actually be
> discussing the subject of the image.

Um yes it does. Appearence of the website is only part of ebay and if
it is important enough to include a "fair use" image it is important
enough to talk about in the article.

>The article on [[Jean-Luc Picard]]
> has a screen capture depicting the character but the article doesn't at
> any point have a section of text saying "in the screenshot at right,
> note how Captain Picard is bald and has a hawkish nose. The gleam of his
> scalp offsets the gleam of intelligence in his eye." The whole article
> is about the guy and that's a picture showing what he looks like.

No the article is about the character. If the character's apearence is
important enough to use a "fair use" image then it is important enough
to talk about in the article.
--
geni