[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:34:30 UTC 2007

On 7/23/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I think you may be interpreting things a little overly literally. The
> article is about eBay and the screenshot depicts what eBay "looks like"
> to the user. There's no need for the article to literally say "in the
> screenshot to the right, note the balanced use of color and perfectly
> straight lines used on the eBay homepage" in order to actually be
> discussing the subject of the image. The article on [[Jean-Luc Picard]]
> has a screen capture depicting the character but the article doesn't at
> any point have a section of text saying "in the screenshot at right,
> note how Captain Picard is bald and has a hawkish nose. The gleam of his
> scalp offsets the gleam of intelligence in his eye." The whole article
> is about the guy and that's a picture showing what he looks like.
>
> (As an aside, I picked this example at random on the assumption that
> there'd be a screenshot there and when I actually visited the article to
> double-check that I found that the image tagged for deletion both for
> lacking a source and for lacking a fair use rationale. In both cases,
> the missing information is REALLY FREAKIN' OBVIOUS. Once again a case
> where it was just as easy to slap deletion tags on as it was to provide
> the information that would solve the problem, and yet the deletion tags
> were used. This is not optimal to say the least.)

Out of curiosity, how would you think about a case where in an article
about one half of Abbott and Costello (or any random pair of performing
artists who chiefly appeared together), there was a fair use image of
both of them. (disregarding the real life question of whether there
was a free image available, supposing there weren't)

Lets further say the other half of the duo wasn't in an article that described
them at length, more than to note that they were an inextricable pair
for most of their career. Would it be accurate to say there was no rationale
to include that image, because one of the persons in that fair use image
was not who the article was discussing?