[WikiEN-l] Fair use redux; the second coming of hell; Are we a free content or aren't we?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 19 16:09:41 UTC 2007

WikipediaEditor Durin wrote:
> This morning, I did a survey of 100 image uploads. The sample size
> with relation to
> the overall quantity of image uploads per month is not statistically
> significant, but
> it is terrifying nonetheless. With that grain of salt in mind;
>
> I found that 44% of images uploaded were tagged as being under a non-free
> license.

For a long time now we've been pushing the notion that images under free
licence should be uploaded to Commons rather than en.wikipedia.  I think
it's a good approach myself. So it hardly seems surprising (and
certainly not "terrifying") that a high percentage of the material that
remains is material that isn't under a free licence.

If freely licenced images should go to Commons and non-free images
shouldn't be uploaded at all, then why even have image uploads enabled
on en.wikipedia? That would seem to cover all the bases.