[WikiEN-l] No "list of X" article unless there's already a good "X" article

SPUI drspui at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 12:42:36 UTC 2007

Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:
> I wish there were widespread general consensus that there should not
> be a "list of X" article unless there is already a high-quality
> article on the topic of "X." And the list should begin as a section
> within the "X" article and should not be broken out until it becomes
> unmanageably long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_auxiliary_Interstate_Highways -
there's no [[auxiliary Interstate Highway]].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_Canadian_railways - there's
no [[defunct Canadian railway]].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CSX_Transportation_predecessor_railroads
- there's no [[CSX Transportation predecessor railroad]].

> I wish there were widespread general consensus that every item in a
> "list of X" article should be individually referenced. A year or so
> ago I tried checking out such lists, particularly those of which it
> was asserted that a reference was not needed because "references can
> be found in the linked article," and my experience was this was
> usually not true.

Same example (auxiliary Interstates): the FHWA Route Log and Finder List
has everything but the most recent changes. There's no need to
individually reference it for each entry.