[WikiEN-l] Article Rescue Squadron: Combat medics urgently needed

Mark Gallagher fuddlemark at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 09:28:15 UTC 2007

G'day Ben,

> Exactly -- this is not an inclusionist project (and certainly not a
> "radically inclusionist" one); it has nothing to say about what topics
> should be included and what should not.  It is about improving
> articles about topics that are uncontroversially encyclopedic and
> includable because lately some people have been deleting them.
>
> See Andrew Lih on the topic (and you don't see him pissed off very
> often): http://www.andrewlih.com/blog/2007/07/10/unwanted-new-articles-in-wikipedia/

He makes a good point late in his post about the changing attitudes to
inclusion/deletion: newbies are far more deletionist, and further, do so
without any real clue of what they're talking about.

I have become more inclusionist over time.  However, the community ---
by which I mean the squeaky wheels --- have moved much further back than
I've moved forward, so that it now seems that I am massively out of
step.  I've noticed that a lot of the old-timers whom I respect have
seen their attitudes shift similar amounts relative to "the community".

There are plenty of crap articles out there in this wide, brown,
wonderful encyclopaedia of ours about important topics.  Unless these
articles are improved, they will be deleted.  It is a sad reflection on
the Wikipedia community today that those who dare to write good articles
are looked upon with suspicion.

Wikipedia is not a project to write an encyclopaedia.  It's a project to
attack those of us who have the temerity to try to produce something
worthwhile, in the name of "increasing quality".  If you make an article
better, then it can't be deleted ... and if you spend all your time here
doing dodgy things like that, well, all that can be said is: we don't
want your filthy kind here.  Get out, you unconscionable bastard, before
Steven and Pedro and the hundreds like them throw you out.

--
Mark Gallagher
"'Yes, sir,' said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten