[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

WikipediaEditor Durin wikidurin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:36:12 UTC 2007

> A consensus to "liberally" allow fair use would mean nothing. Most
> things are subject to consensus, but the Foundation's been pretty clear
> on the matter, that fair use should be minimal if allowed at all. While
> that's open to some interpretation, "use liberally and wherever we
> legally can" is clearly in conflict with that resolution, so consensus
> or not it can't be done. An essential part of minimal use is that the
> fair-use content is irreplaceable, and also that it serve to
> substantially enhance the educational value of the article it's used in.

Several people have noted on en.wikipedia that consensus on this
policy can not override Foundation resolution.

However, we have had several MASSIVE debates about how to interpret
the words "minimal" and "significantly". Nobody agrees on the connotation
of these words as it applies to our use of non-free media.

This is precisely one of the reasons I am asking for greater clarification.

-Durin