[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 02:51:19 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 7/12/07, WikipediaEditor Durin <wikidurin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I guarantee you that no consensus will evolve.
>
> Probably not. But a lack of consensus should not paralyze a project.
> If a supermajority favors particular policies, that may be an
> acceptable outcome.
>
> Really, if these issues cannot be resolved, that is more symptomatic
> for the lack of maturity of decision making processes in the English
> Wikipedia than it is for a need for a more specific policy.

That is so true, unfortunately. Consensus works great 80% of the time, but
it fails horribly at the 20% of the time when it doesn't work.

As an aside, en's problems are probably more visible because there are
editors on en who actually care about the problem. I used to sporadically
edit ms, and one of the top admins there frequently uploaded images under
the non-commercial Creative Commons licence.

Johnleemk