[WikiEN-l] FredBauder"clarifies"onattackkk site link policy

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon Jul 9 03:54:30 UTC 2007

On 8 Jul 2007 at 19:42:27 +0100, Guy Chapman aka JzG
<guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> Not linking to attack and outing sites is one rule that will probably
> never change, because it stems from a much more fundamental and
> long-standing rule: don't be a dick.

Some of the worst dickishness on this issue seems, in my opinion, to
come from the people who go out of their way to find and suppress all
links to the sites in question regardless of context, sometimes
digging through old talk archives and such to do it.  They remind me
of people who go out of their way to listen to "shock jock" radio
shows for the express purpose of catching them saying something
indecent they can report to the FCC.

But the "Don't be a dick" rule seems to have been amended in practice
to "Don't be a dick unless you're part of the Dick Clique" (hey, that
rhymes!), since there's a gang of powerful Wikipedians who have
license to be as dickish as they want if they label their targets
"trolls" or "single-purpose accounts" or "sockpuppets" or
"meatpuppets" or "partisans of attack sites".

--
== Dan ==